Internet Marketing Tips and Quips for Aspiring Marketers

The 80/20 Rule


Don't be frightened fellow right-side brains!

The 80/20 rule is somewhat of a ratio but it doesn't take a math wiz to understand and apply this popular rule of thumb to both your business practices and your daily life. It comes to my mind, however, on nights like this when I find myself under a pile of books and papers curled up in the fetal position squinting glossy-eye at my computer screen.

The 80/20 rule suggests that 80% of your outcomes (successes,accomplishments, etc) comes from only 20% of your inputs (attention,efforts).  Thus whether its trying to accomplish a range of projects at work or just your own personal to-do list, focus your best efforts on the most important tasks and leave the rest for re-evaluation the next day.

Sure, easier said than done right?

And of course sometimes there are days when every task you have seems like the most important one you will ever take on-- believe me, I know. But in the long run, keeping in mind the 80/20 under pressure helps to keep your mind clear and more fit to execute a few big tasks much more effectively.

The 80/20 Rule is the motto that forces me to stop questioning whatever evil force it was that made a day only 24 hours long, stop checking my inbox, stop refreshing my twitter feed and disconnect. The important things to think about are the great things I did accomplish today (this blog post for one) and tomorrow I will hit refresh on my energy levels. Ya, it's kind of zen for us marketing control freaks but it can do wonders for your productivity (and optimism).

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment